August 22, 2015

Slow Art

The more I listen to Bach’s cello suites, the more emotionally satisfying they become. They are meant to be savored, like a snifter of the finest cognac. One doesn’t gulp down a superior cognac, one swirls it around in the glass, breathes in the aroma, and sips it slowly. Would it be hubristic to compare my work to Bach’s cello suites? What I mean is that I believe my paintings deserve slow and careful contemplation. A lot of contemporary art can be taken in with a single glance. The images, like so much in our modern society, are intended for quick consumption, and they do not merit prolonged viewing. By contrast, my art rewards the viewer who takes the time to look at it in a leisurely and thoughtful manner. They are meant for slow gazing. They are slow art.

No comments:

Post a Comment